The Bulmer and Katz theory (1974) was one that focused on "what people do with the media" instead of "what the media does with people". It mainly looks at the person consuming the media. It is mainly referred to as the 'Uses and Gratification Theory' which further means that the consumer chooses how they use media to satisfy them. However, the theory further suggests that the consumer may have a motif for choosing certain types of media other than their own needs.
Media users may chose different types of media to benefit for different reasons: they may use it to help with personal relationships as they may be able to connect with a particular character and may find some comfort in that sense. They also may watch things for lifestyle purposes e.g. the weather, news, holiday bargains and many more. However there is a upsetting side as some people may watch things as a diversion, so to get away from every day problems they may be facing in their own life. This could promote the view that maybe the media can have a bad effect and many people see it as a escape but if they look at a soap opera and link it to their life they may become depressed.
We see here how the viewers seem to be able to connect with this major story line Emerdale are facing, showing a personal relationship between the viewer and the program itself.
Hello Everyone! This is a video of a fake sword fight between Tahlia and Grace, Tahlia gets killed and grace is the killer. I wasn't doing media at this time so I didn't do any of the filming.
This is a close up shot because you can see the facial expressions. This may be used when a scene is really intense and the facial expression can get across some information to the viewer. This is a establishing shot because it sets the scene. Which may be important when needing the viewer to realise something about where the scene is set or being filmed. This is a long shot ...
Welcome! My names Beth and I'm new to blogging and Media studies all together. I chose media because it's almost like everything I love about TV all rolled into one! I love finding out the different shot angles and how different scenes are filmed and how they appear to be set in somewhere on the other side of the world to where they are actually filmed! I don't really have a lot of experience in filming and camera shots so its going to be difficult to learn it all and take everything on board but im sure it will become easier as time goes on! I cant wait to film and edit my 2 minute thriller film that's going to be the best part!
Comments
Post a Comment